Monthly Archive: May 2012

May 30

Bixler progress

I got some work done on the Bixler yesterday. I glued the remaining wing, mounted the servo and replacement horns and I taped all hinges with Scotch tough fiber reinforced tape. After that was done I started assembling the fuselage. I used CA glue and pressed the 2 halves togehter securing them with tape and …

Continue reading »

May 28

Bixler build

The Bixler build is going very slow at the moment. I mounted new links to the ailerons and taped all hinges. I actually have planned to glue the fuselage but I’m waiting and planning to see if there is something that has to be done before I enter point of no return (I don’t think …

Continue reading »

May 28

Skywalker FPV with ER9X

Aerial view

I have been busy rebuilding the videolink and it seems I solved the issue, but I don’t know what the cause was. For some strange reason the goggles did not work either so there is more troubleshooting ahead. I flew LOS to begin with to get the hang of the ER9X programming. The Ailerons have …

Continue reading »

May 27

5.8 antennas done

Soldering

Today it was Eurovision song contest – there is no better opportunity than solder some antennas – yes I know we won… I soldered a Cloverleaf and a Skewplanar antenna for my 5.8Ghz videolink. Soldering the antennas is kind of tricky when you have no jig or fixture to hold your wires with. I only …

Continue reading »

May 25

Videolink issues

During the recent flights with my Skywalker I noticed some issues with the video link. I seems to lost the range. This is one of the reasons I decided to rebuild the groundstation. I also verified all solders and connectors to the onboard Clover Leaf and performed a series of tests in my local neighborhood …

Continue reading »

May 22

Groundstation cleanup

Being tired of all tangled wires and connectors on my groundstation it is time to do something about it. Chop chop chop and the sloppy wires was removed 🙂 I begun by removing unnecessary loops between the Eagle Eyes and the TFT-monitor. The monitor has dual input and a reverse option. 2 wires gone – …

Continue reading »

May 21

Skywalker tests

Rapeseed

Yesterday I was performing a series of tests with the Skywalker. My intentions was to record some FPV over the yellow fields with rapeseed. A quick test on the ground shows everything working. During first flight that was LOS I discover that the videolink was gone after a few hundred meters. It was directional i.e …

Continue reading »

May 18

Turnigy 9X battery mod

Trustfire 2400mAh

Some time ago I ordered Lithium Ion batteries @2400mAh I soldered them into a 2S battery that replaces my current 900mAh 2S LIPO in the Turnigy 9X radio. I added connectors for charging as well as balancing but my old charger does not like these batteries. The crappy charger I got bundled with the Lama …

Continue reading »

May 09

Arduplane testing

As you might know I will try Arduplane in the Skywalker and Bixler to begin with. I have a few ideas of how to perform tests and here are my thoughts 1 verify RTH (fly away and turn off radio/activate with a switch – plane returns to start at preconfigured height) 2 verify flying after …

Continue reading »

May 09

450 v2 frame conclusion

I want to sum up my initial thoughts about the 450 v2 clone from RcTimer. The frame is nice, well finished and the parts fits well together. The kit comes with a rather crappy hex and you should apply some blue Loctite to make sure the screws do not fall off. They are rather special. …

Continue reading »

Older posts «